- Don’t you think that’s cliche?
- Hey, I have a great idea for a book! Why don’t you write it and we’ll split the profits!
- Oh yeah, when I get my book published…
- Why haven’t I heard of you?
- That doesn’t look that hard!
I just thought I’d add three more.
6. Oh, writing’s not a real profession.
7. You know, that kind of reminds me of this other book I read… Are you sure you didn’t steal their idea?
8. Yes, I know you’ve proof-read it a thousand times, but there’s still a couple of mistakes. Look here.
Adding to your additions:
9. Can I read it?
10. What’s it about?
What’s it about?
My own father has done like five of these things to me.
Particularly “That sounds an awful lot like this other book I read! You’d better read it and make sure you didn’t copy the idea!” (Of a book I’d never even heard of?)
(I read the book. It was absolutely nothing remotely close to what I was writing.)